Github link is the following: https://github.com/angerangel/Rebol-linux-packages
How to make a Linux package?
It's very simple:
- first of all you need to create a directory with you package name (for example "rebol")
- inside this folder you must put the folders that you want to install in pc, the same structure parting from "/" (the roo folder). In my case I needed to copy rebol intepreter in "/usr/bin" and something else in "/usr/share/". So this is my directory structure:
- As you probably noticed, I also created a "DEBIAN" directory, this is requested by .deb package format. Inside the DEBIAN directory you must put a "control" file. This is my control file:
Depends: libc6, libstdc++6, libx11-6, libxcb1, libxaw7, libfreetype6, libxext6, libxt6, libxmu6, libgcc1, libsm6, libice6, libxpm4, zlib1g, libxau6, libxdmcp6, libuuid1, xfonts-100dpi, xfonts-75dpi
postinst: mandb; update-app-install
Maintainer: Massimiliano Vessi <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Description: REBOL stands for relative expression based object language.
Software systems have become too complex,
layers upon layers of complexity, each more brittle and
vulnerable to failure. In the end software becomes the
problem, not the solution. We rebel against such complexity,
fighting back with the most powerful tool available:
This package contains the REBOL/View 126.96.36.199.3 binary
- Then I added the man pages
- Then I added the icon to display in the application menu, in "/usr/share/pixmaps/"
- Then I wrote the rebol.desktop, a file that add rebol in the application panel like this:
Comment=Programming is fun again
terminal=true is important to start rebol from a terminal, or you won't see console.
- Now you must have alien installed, in order to convert the debian package in other formats (RPM, tar.gz, etc.)
- Launch my script (packcreator.sh) and you'll obtain all packages for all linux platforms. My script is very simple:
#removing old versions
#creating new ones
dpkg-deb -b rebol
dpkg-deb -b rebol_amd64
sudo alien --to-rpm --to-tgz rebol.deb
sudo alien --to-rpm rebol_amd64.deb